The COVID-19 Relief Program* aims to help low-income households maintain the basic need of housing with running utilities through:
- Rent assistance
- Mortgage assistance
- Water bill assistance
- Power bill assistance
In addition to the basic needs of housing and utilities, food and prescription assistance will be provided to support physical health and well-being. The provision of prescription and medical supplies assistance will be accomplished through a partnership with Champaign County Health Care Consumers.
Households in Champaign County interested in applying for this program can request assistance online at www.HelpIllinoisFamilies.com. After being referred to the RPC, an RPC staff member will contact the head of household to begin the application process.
*The assistance referenced below is specific to Champaign County residents who meet the income eligibility guidelines referenced below.
Rent Assistance Specific to the COVID-19 Pandemic
One month of rent assistance (as reflected in the lease) is now available for individuals and families affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. This is a one-time payment up to a maximum of $700.
In order to be eligible, you must:
- Live in Champaign County
- Not be receiving any housing subsidies (so, renters living in subsidized housing are not eligible)
- Have earned income prior to the Governor’s shelter in place order
- Have applied for unemployment insurance as a result of COVID-19 wage losses but did not qualify for unemployment insurance
- Have household income up to 250% of the federal poverty level
Those applying are required to provide the following supporting documentation:
- Your IDES Unemployment Claims summary reflecting your ineligibility for unemployment
- Proof of household income within 250% of the federal poverty level
Options for documenting your household income:
- 2019 tax return; or
- Documentation of income for each household member for the last 30 days prior to being out of work
- Proof of your change in work status reflected through paystubs (or a letter from your employer)
- A copy of your current/active lease that reflects your monthly rent amount
To apply, please contact us at 877-548-4205.
- Resources for families during COVID-19
- Resource Guide for Immigrants in C-U
- Here is a link to a document that features some of our community’s resources – mostly for food, transportation, and shelter. It includes information about donations or needed supplies that organizations have requested.
- The United Way of Champaign County and Community Foundation of East Central Illinois Boards of Directors have authorized the establishment of the Champaign County COVID-19 Relief Fund. Find more information at this link.
- A Champaign County COVID-19 Food Distribution Volunteer Sign-Up is a combined effort between Champaign PTA Council and Champaign Urbana Public Health District to allow individuals to sign up if they would like to be contacted about future volunteer opportunities. You can sign up at this link.
- Here is a link to a list of Champaign-Urbana area restaurants offering free kids meals during school closures.