The RPC’s Transportation Assistance program helps Champaign County households preserve independent means of transportation as a way of eliminating potential barriers to obtaining or maintaining employment and preventing homelessness and housing insecurity.
When funding is available, the RPC will provide eligible households with assistance to address vehicle repairs and/or an annual bus pass for public transportation.
- Individuals eligible for the Transportation Assistance program include those currently employed or actively seeking employment and receiving SNAP, TANF, or Medicaid benefits.
- To be eligible for consideration for vehicle repair, applicants must have not received vehicle repair assistance in the last 2 years.
$1,400 maximum benefit per household
- Public transportation/annual bus pass ($300 maximum)
- Auto repair ($1,400 maximum)
- Requires proof of vehicle ownership, active vehicle insurance, active vehicle registration, and an active driver’s license
- Requires two estimates
- If approved, will address minor repairs to the vehicle (registered to the applicant) to return the vehicle to operable condition
Examples: tires, brakes, water pump, battery, timing belt, chains, lights
First, gather the documents that will be required to submit at an in-person appointment. If you do not have all the required documents at the time of your in-person appointment, you will be required to reschedule an in-person appointment to complete your application.
CLICK HERE to review the documents you will need to provide at your appointment.
Next, schedule an in-person appointment using the “Choose Appointment” link.
The funding for vehicle repair is limited so the number of appointments is also limited. During the program year when funding remains to support the program, vehicle repair application appointment times are added on a monthly basis on the second Monday of the month. If/when you attempt to schedule and find that there are no available appointments, please check back on the second Monday of the next month.