Water / Wastewater Assistance Program
Income-eligible households and families in Champaign County faced with past-due water/wastewater bills or facing disconnection from water/wastewater services due to non-payment can now find assistance with water and wastewater bills, helping avoid shutoffs. The RPC will be accepting applications until the funding is exhausted.
The temporary emergency assistance provides a one-time payment to be used toward water/wastewater services, helping renters and homeowners avoid shutoffs while supporting household water system reconnections. Service priorities are to prevent disconnections, to restore drinking water and wastewater services as soon as possible, and to reduce unpaid bills.
eligibility criteria:To be eligible, households must have a household income that does not exceed 200% Federal Poverty Level (FPL). A single-person homeowner household can qualify with a monthly income for up to $2,265, a two-person household up to $3,025, a three-person household up to $3,838, and a family of four up to $4,625. Benefits will be paid directly to water/wastewater vendors on behalf of eligible households.
The RPC needs the following documentation to process applications:
- Proof of income for the 30-day period beginning with the date of application for all household members
- Photo identification
- For renter households, a copy of lease (or signed letter from landlord confirming renter status) and as applicable, 5-day or 10-day notice or eviction notice
- Proof of Social Security numbers or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for all household members
*All income-qualified residents of Illinois can receive bill assistance; providing an SSN or ITIN will speed up the process. (Individuals without an SSN or ITIN can still apply and the RPC will advise accordingly.)
- Most recent water and/or wastewater bill issued within the last 30 days (if they pay for their services directly)
- If they are disconnected, a disconnection notice will be required
Applications will be taken on a first-come, first-served basis and appointments will be made until funding is exhausted.
Funding provided in whole or in part by the Illinois Department of Commerce & Economic Opportunity LIHWAP and CSBG grants.
2022 Water-Sewer Assistance Application
Case Manager II - Utility Assistance Program