The Weatherization program helps make the homes of low-income members of our community safer and more energy efficient.
We will update this page when all available application appointments have been filled.
When attending your appointment, please bring the following with you. These documents will be required to be considered for Weatherization services.
- Photo identification (State ID with a picture and the applicant’s legal name)
- Social Security card(s) for all household members
- Copy of your most recent power bill; bills over one month old will not be accepted (NOTE—hard/paper: copy of power bill is required)
- Proof of income for ALL household members; following is acceptable documentation: Copy of the last 30 days of income for all household members, Check stubs, Income Statements, Benefits Statements (Tax documents and 1040 statements CANNOT be accepted as proof of income)
- Proof of Home Ownership; following is acceptable documentation (please provide front and back of document(s): a copy of your Deed, a copy of your Title for Mobile Homes Or in lieu of Deed or Title; a copy of your current mortgage documents, a copy of your current Champaign County Real Estate Tax document
To be eligible for the Weatherization program, the applicant’s total household income must be at or below 200% of the federal poverty level or have a household member who receives Supplemental Security Income (SSI). Weatherization can be performed on any home occupied by an eligible applicant, including apartments, manufactured homes, and privately owned single-family homes. The service is free to qualified applicants.Services
Eligible Weatherization program participants receive a complete energy assessment of the home, detailing any concerns and informing participants of opportunities. Weatherization services are comprehensive and include insulating and air sealing the walls, floors, and attics; furnace/air conditioning improvements, including replacing existing low-efficiency appliances, or cleaning/tuning higher-efficiency equipment. The program also replaces lighting with LED lightbulbs, waterwise showerheads and faucet aerators, and refrigerators depending on cost effectiveness and energy savings. A certified professional will test for safe operation of gas and gas appliances and will advise on any structural or health concerns in the home. All participating homes will have fresh-air ventilation fans installed to improve indoor air quality.Benefits of Weatherization
All Weatherization projects must be determined to be cost-effective and energy efficient using energy modeling software. All work is completed by the Champaign County Regional Planning Commission’s list of qualified contractors. The Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity estimates that program participants use an average of 20-30% less energy per year compared to their neighbors. The benefits of the program extend beyond energy savings and improve the comfort and safety of participating households.