The Champaign-Urbana Urban Area Safety Plan was developed by staff from the Champaign-Urbana Urbanized Area Transportation Study (CUUATS), a program of CCRPC. The plan aims to develop a data-driven, strategic approach to address traffic safety concerns in the Champaign-Urbana Urban area. The plan study area is the area within the Champaign-Urbana Metropolitan Planning Area (MPA) boundary. The plan presents an analysis of crash trends, identifies emphasis areas based on a data-driven approach, and outlines specific strategies for each of the emphasis areas. The strategies are a compilation of the 4 Es (Education, Enforcement, Emergency Medical Services, and Engineering). The plan also lists critical (high priority) intersections and segments in the Champaign-Urbana Urban area. This plan provides guidelines for safety stakeholders from the 4 Es to identify and implement safety improvements and programs in an effort to address safety concerns in the Champaign-Urbana MPA.
In November 2021, after the plan was approved, staff began developing an equity analysis to accompany the plan. The urban equity analysis focuses on bicycle and pedestrian equity in the MPA. The urban analysis also separated the University District from the rest of the MPA as the density and infrastructure of the areas are fundamentally different and have different safety needs. The areas researched correspond with Emphasis Areas outlined in the plan.
The equity analysis includes the following elements:
- Descriptive statistics discussion.
- Comparison of census block group Title VI demographic features to the number of crashes and the crash rates.
- A preliminary speed analysis.
- Selection of High Priority Neighborhoods or Areas (census block groups).
- Comparison of bicycle and pedestrian access scores for each block group to the number of crashes and crash rates.
- Conclusions to be drawn from the analysis.
- A Vision Zero policy to eliminate fatalities and serious injuries that are a result of crashes on streets within Champaign County by 2035.
In September 2022, the CUUATS Technical and Policy Committees voted to amend the Champaign-Urbana Urban Area Safety Plan to include the equity analysis and Vision Zero policy.