September 18, 2018
The RPC will be taking applications for the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) for winter heating assistance starting October 1, 2018, with payments toward residential gas and electric bills for eligible households.
All appointments are scheduled for Monday through Friday at the RPC office located at the Brookens building (1776 E. Washington Street, Urbana), by walk-in. Appointments will be rescheduled if you are late.
Eligibility criteria and timeline:
- Beginning October 1, 2018 – Low-income seniors (60+) and persons with permanent disabilities can make appointments. Those with pending disability status with Social Security are also eligible (must provide documentation).
- Beginning November 1, 2018 – Low-income households that contain a child age 5 or under, disconnected or imminent disconnection households, seniors (60+), and disabled individuals can make appointments.
- Beginning December 1, 2018 – The program can assist all other eligible households with income up to 150% of the Federal poverty guideline.
A single-person household can qualify with a monthly income for up to $1,518, a two-person household up to $2,058, a three-person household up to $2,598, and a family of four up to $3,138. Benefits are paid directly to utilities on behalf of eligible households. The exception is households whose heating costs are included in their rent.
We will need the following documentation to process applications:
- Proof of income for the 30-day period beginning with the date of application for all household members
- Social Security cards for all household members
- Most recent gas and electric bill issued within the last 30 days (if they pay for their energy directly)
- If they are disconnected, a disconnection notice will be required
- Proof of disability, if applicable
Applications are taken on a first-come, first-served basis through May 31, 2019, or until funding is exhausted.