August 22, 2018
A select group of students from Champaign County will receive a boost to their post-secondary study during the 2018-19 academic year. The RPC’s Community Services Board has awarded a group of nine individuals with scholarships to help defray the cost of their education.
Here’s a look at this year’s winners:
- Pearl Baughman of Champaign – She will continue attending Parkland College to pursue a career in Pre-Veterinary Medicine.
- Taylor Campbell of Champaign – This recent graduate of Champaign Central High School will be attending Parkland College to pursue a degree in Psychology.
- Johnesha Hunt of Champaign – She will continue attending Parkland College in pursuit of a degree in Construction Management.
- Jasmine Johnson of Champaign – A recent graduate of Centennial High School, she will be attending the University of Illinois at Chicago to pursue a career in Communications and Broadcast Media.
- Sharon Laby of Champaign – A recent graduate of Centennial High School, Sharon will attend the University of Illinois to study Biology and Pre-Med.
- Taylin Martin of Urbana – This recent graduate of Urbana High School will continue her education at Peoria’s Illinois Central College in Nursing or Early Childhood Development.
- Rianna Newbill of Champaign – She will be transferring from Parkland College to the University of Illinois to pursue a degree in Social Work.
- Grace Shirley of Champaign – A recent graduate of Centennial High School, Grace plans to attend Parkland College in pursuit of a degree in Child Development.
- Terry Joshua Ward of Savoy – He will continue his studies at the University of Illinois, seeking a degree in Communications and Public Relations.
The Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity makes these scholarship awards possible through funding from the Community Services Block Grant awarded to the RPC. Each scholarship recipient receives a portion of the $10,000 scholarship award, depending on the number of awardees chosen and at the discretion of the scholarship committee.