December 2, 2019
The next round of eligibility for the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) for winter heating assistance began on December 2, 2019, with benefits toward residential gas and electric bills for eligible households. All households that meet 150% of the poverty guideline can now make appointments.
Although appointments can be made in person at the RPC office located at the Brookens Administrative Center (1776 E. Washington Street, Urbana), customers can also now make their appointments online through a special page set up at https://ccrpc.org/liheap. Appointments can be confirmed at any time from a mobile phone, a tablet, or a computer.
A single-person household can qualify with a monthly income for up to $1,561, a two-person household up to $2,114, a three-person household up to $2,666, and a family of four up to $3,219. Benefits are paid directly to utilities on behalf of eligible households. The exception is households whose heating costs are included in their rent.
The RPC needs the following documentation to process applications:
- Proof of income for the 30-day period beginning with the date of application for all household members
- Social Security numbers for all household members
- Most recent gas and electric bill issued within the last 30 days (if they pay for their energy directly)
- If they are disconnected, a disconnection notice will be required
- Proof of disability, if applicable
Applications will be taken on a first-come, first-served basis through May 31, 2020, or until funding is exhausted.