Next Round of LIHEAP Eligibility Underway with Customers No Longer Required to Wait in Line

A small house in a wintry scene

The next round of eligibility for the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) for winter heating assistance began on December 2, 2019, with benefits toward residential gas and electric bills for eligible households. All households that meet 150% of the poverty guideline can now make appointments.

Although appointments can be made in person at the RPC office located at the Brookens Administrative Center (1776 E. Washington Street, Urbana), customers can also now make their appointments online through a special page set up at Appointments can be confirmed at any time from a mobile phone, a tablet, or a computer.

A single-person household can qualify with a monthly income for up to $1,561, a two-person household up to $2,114, a three-person household up to $2,666, and a family of four up to $3,219. Benefits are paid directly to utilities on behalf of eligible households. The exception is households whose heating costs are included in their rent.

The RPC needs the following documentation to process applications:

  • Proof of income for the 30-day period beginning with the date of application for all household members
  • Social Security numbers for all household members
  • Most recent gas and electric bill issued within the last 30 days (if they pay for their energy directly)
  • If they are disconnected, a disconnection notice will be required
  • Proof of disability, if applicable

Applications will be taken on a first-come, first-served basis through May 31, 2020, or until funding is exhausted.


  1. Jamea coleman says:

    I get social security for my kids can I apply October’s 1st?

  2. Maurey Williamson says:

    To receive more information about eligibility and when you can make an appointment, please call 217-384-1226.

  3. Anonymous says:

    Can as person apply that has no income and has children?

  4. Maurey Williamson says:

    Please call 217-384-1226 and they can give you more details on eligibility for LIHEAP.

  5. Anonymous says:

    Can’t find my SS card and awaiting reordered can take something else i.e. tax form as proof SS#

  6. Maurey Williamson says:

    If you have a legal document that has your Social Security number on it, like a tax form, we can accept that.

Leave a Reply

Please be respectful. All fields are required, and all comments are subject to moderation. URLs are not allowed.