September 1, 2020
September marks the final month for U.S. residents to complete the 2020 Census. The Census form closes on Wednesday, September 30. Champaign County residents can respond to the Census online at my2020census.gov, return their form by mail, or call 1-844-330-2020. The Census can be completed by phone in 13 languages.
All residents are encouraged to complete the Census form, regardless of their citizenship status. University of Illinois students should also make sure they are counted in Champaign-Urbana, where they live most of the year. The RPC coordinates the Champaign County Complete Count Committee, consisting of more than 20 agencies. The RPC is working with these agencies to make computers and staff available to help people complete their Census form online if they have not yet done so. Participants will receive a free thank-you gift for attending, such as a mask, sanitizer, reusable bag, book, screen wipe, or bandage holder.
“A complete count is vital to ensure that sufficient federal funding reaches Champaign County to improve our communities in areas such as education, health care, social services, and transportation,” stresses RPC Planner Gabe Lewis.
The list of Census-assistance events planned in September can be found below. Assistance is available in Champaign, Urbana, Rantoul, Mahomet, and the University of Illinois campus. All events end on Wednesday, September 30, unless otherwise stated. Residents can follow “2020 Central Illinois Census” on Facebook and Twitter to find the most updated event schedule and information.
- LIHEAP, Brookens Gym, Monday-Friday 8am-4:30pm (though Fri., 9/18)
- Early Voting, Brookens Information Desk, Fri. 9/25 – Wed. 9/30, 8am-4:30pm
- Community Service Center of Northern Champaign County, 520 E. Wabash Ave., Rantoul, Tuesdays 10am-4:30pm
- Neutral Cycle/Brewlab Coffee, 624 S. 5th St., Champaign (campus):
- Wednesdays 12-2:30pm
- Saturday 9/14 & 9/21, 12-2:30 pm
- Douglass Park, north side of the library, 512 E. Grove St., Champaign
- 10am-1:30 pm: Thu. 9/3, Tue. 9/8, Thu. 9/10, Thu. 9/25
- 1:30-5pm: Tue. 9/1, Tue. 9/15, Thu. 9/17, Tue. 9/29
- Urbana Free Library, 210 W. Green St., Thursdays 12-4 pm
- Washington Park, 3rd St. at Armory Ave., Champaign (campus): Thursday & Friday afternoons
- Urbana’s Market at the Square, west side: Saturdays 8am-12pm
- Freedom Friday, 120 E. Sangamon Ave., Rantoul, Friday 9/4, 6-7:30pm
- Open Office Hours, 407 E. University Ave., Suite F, Champaign, Wednesdays 11 am-3pm
- Garden Hills Food Pantry, 2001 Garden Hills Dr., Champaign, Tue. 9/8 & Tue. 9/22, 4-6pm, with CUPHD
- IDHS/CUPHD/Housing Authority Assistance Drive-Thru & School Supply Giveaway, Fri. 9/11, Sat. 9/12, and Sun. 9/13, 3-6pm, 2 locations in Champaign and 1 location in Urbana TBD
- Barber Park soccer game, 703 S. McDougal Rd., Mahomet, Monday 9/14, 5:30-6:30pm
- Champaign Farmer’s Market: Tue. 9/18, 3-6pm