April 30, 2020
In an effort to better assist households that have been impacted by the COVID-19 crisis, the 2019-20 season for the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) has been extended to June 30, 2020. The season was originally scheduled to end on May 31, 2020.
While the Brookens Administrative Center is currently closed to the public, Champaign County residents can instead schedule their LIHEAP appointments online at any time from a mobile phone, tablet, or computer. All appointments will be conducted over the phone. Individuals can also schedule an appointment by calling 217-384-1226 between 8am and 4:30pm, Monday through Friday.
LIHEAP offers assistance with heating and bills to income eligible households. Those eligible to make appointments include:
- Low-income seniors (60+) and persons with permanent disabilities
- Those with pending disability status with Social Security (must provide documentation)
- Low-income households that contain a child age 5 or under
- Disconnected or imminent disconnection households
- Households that applied already and have a high outstanding balance may apply and may receive additional assistance at this time.
- Households with income up to 150% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines
A single-person household can qualify with a monthly income for up to $1,561, a two-person household up to $2,114, a three-person household up to $2,666, and a family of four up to $3,219. Benefits are paid directly to utilities or energy vendors on behalf of eligible households. The exception is households whose heating costs are included in their rent.
The RPC needs the following documentation to process applications:
- Proof of income for the 30-day period beginning with the date of application for all household members
- Social Security numbers for all household members
- Most recent gas and electric bill issued within the last 30 days (if they pay for their energy directly)
- If they are disconnected, a disconnection notice will be required
- Proof of disability, if applicable
LIHEAP is a federal and state funded utility assistance program in Champaign County. LIHEAP helps low-income families pay their energy costs and helps to educate them to conserve energy, lower their costs, and work toward financial self-sufficiency. Eligibility is determined by family size and household income in accordance with federal guidelines.