Head Start is the Right Start
When children love learning, everything else falls into place.
In addition to social and emotional factors, vocabulary, letter knowledge, and phonological awareness have a significant impact on later success in school among preschoolers. Our work focuses on assisting children become equipped with the basic skills necessary so that they begin school ready to learn.
Our approach is developmentally appropriate for preschoolers as well as culturally sensitive. Because we respect and support parents as a child’s first teachers, we also recognize that children enjoy and benefit from experiences both at home and in the classroom. Therefore, we provide guidance and instruction for both of these environments.
The curriculum at Champaign County Head Start promotes:
- Social and emotional development
- Physical development and health
- Social studies knowledge and skills
- Creative arts expression
- Science knowledge and skills
- Mathematics knowledge and skills
- Literacy knowledge and skills
- Language development, with English language development for dual-language learners
- Logic and reasoning
- Approaches to learning
Our ongoing assessment process shows the growth and development of the children and is published annually as part of our Annual Report to the public.