CUUATS creates and updates three principal documents that are mandated under the Fixing America’s Surface Transportation (FAST) Act, which is the federal authorization legislation for transportation funding.
- Long Range Transportation Plan: Updated every five years; outlines how the Urbanized Area transportation system should evolve over the next 20 years.
- Transportation Improvement Program: Updated every three years, projects are updated on an ongoing basis; lists anticipated transportation projects for the current fiscal year and at least three subsequent fiscal years for all CUUATS member agencies.
- Unified Technical Work Program: Updated yearly; lists the transportation planning activities CUUATS staff will undertake in the upcoming year.
Additional required documents are outlined in the MPO’s self-certification documentation. CUUATS also creates and updates several additional tools and documents that support the transportation planning process:
- CUUATS Open Data Portal: The data portal makes some of the most commonly-requested transportation datasets available for download.
- LRTP Report Card: Updated annually, the report card tracks progress toward the performance measures outlined in the Long Range Transportation Plan.
- Project Priority Review Guidelines: The CUUATS Project Priority Review Guidelines is a set of project selection guidelines, required by the Federal government and determined by CUUATS member agencies, meant to ensure that the federal STPU funds spent in the region support Federal transportation goals and the region’s Long Range Transportation Plan (LRTP).
- Transportation Modeling Framework: The suite of models includes:
- Land Use Model
- Sidewalk Explorer: Documents current and historical trends in condition and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliance for sidewalks, curb ramps, crosswalks, and pedestrian signals in the public right-of-way.
- MPO Agreement 2011
For more information, see the Introduction to the Purpose and Function of a Metropolitan Planning Organization presentation.