Champaign County Bike Month Returns in September – Scheduled Events Include Bike to Work Day and Light the Night
The Champaign County Bike Month Planning Team is excited to announce that Champaign County Bike to Work Day 2023 registration is open! Bike to Work Day 2023 will be held on Thursday, September 14, from 7-10 am, with a rain date of Friday, September 15.
This year’s event is once again countywide, with 16 welcome stations across Champaign, Urbana, the University of Illinois campus, Savoy, Mahomet, Rantoul, and St. Joseph. Cyclists can stop at a station and grab a free breakfast snack, t-shirt, and bike-related information. T-shirts are only guaranteed for people who pre-register, so sign up today! Use this map to find the station that works best for your route.
Please use the same registration link if you would like to volunteer at a welcome station. You can also keep up with C-U Bike Month at cubikemonth.org and on Facebook. Thanks to MTD and Bike at Illinois for their signature sponsorship of Bike to Work Day 2023.
Also happening Tuesday, September 19, is the Light the Night bicycle light giveaway from 4-7 pm. If you bike at night, your bike needs lights to be visible, safe, and legal. Illinois state law requires a bicycle to have a front and back light when riding in the dark.
You must bring your bike to receive free lights. They will be available at these three campus locations:
- Alma Mater (Green St. at Wright St., Urbana)
- Hallene Gateway (Illinois St. at Lincoln Ave., Urbana)
- Ikenberry Commons Quad (301 E. Gregory Dr., Champaign)
A rain date is scheduled for Thursday, September 21, from 4-7 pm. You can help with Light the Night by signing up to be a volunteer. Visit the Bike at Illinois website to learn more about bicycling on campus.
Details on the following Bike Month events can be found on the Bike Month website calendar:
- Friday, September 1: Full Moon Ice Cream Ride
- Saturday, September 9: River to Rail Ride
- Saturday, September 9 and 16: Bike to Market Saturdays
- Friday, September 22: Parking Day
- Saturday, September 23: Bike Your Park Day
- Friday, September 29: Full Moon Ice Cream Ride
- Wednesday, October 4: Walk ‘n’ Roll to School Day